Why Get Testing?
People request psychological testing for themselves or their children for a wide
variety of reasons. These can include:
- a bright child not performing up to potential
- sudden behavioral changes, social withdrawal, anger outbursts, or moodiness
- long-standing childhood difficulties with interpersonal relationships
- ongoing academic or occupational struggles
- difficulties with attention and organization which interfere with one's life.
Sometimes testing can provide information which an individual (especially a child
or adolescent) is not aware of or cannot clearly put into words. The goal of an
assessment is to identify the underlying causes of the presenting concerns and determine
appropriate interventions to alleviate the symptoms. Depending on the situation,
these can include recommendations for academic supports, school placement, and/or
There may be specific diagnostic questions which individuals wish to have evaluated,